Ateneo de Davao is one of the nine schools in the Philippines
owned and run by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). The school tradition
of total, harmonious formation and personal, academic excellence,
product of over four centuries of educational experience of the
Society since the establishment of the College of Messina in October
1548, is St. Ignatius' legacy to the religious family he founded
the request of the Most Rev. Luis del Rosario, S.J., Bishop of
Zamboanga, the Jesuit Fathers, under the leadership of Fr. Theodore
E. Daigler, S.J., took over the St. Peter's Parochial School and
renamed it the Ateneo de Davao.
June 1948 the Ateneo de Davao opened on a six-hectare piece of
property in Matina with 71 grades 5 and 6 elementary students
and 131 first, second, and third year high school students. The
first high school graduation was held in March of 1950.
1951 the Jacinto campus was obtained through the generous support
of the Most Rev. Clovis Thibault, P.M.E., Prelate of Davao. In
July that same year, the college department opened with 130 students.
The course offerings were: Liberal Arts, Commerce, Education,
Associate in Arts, Pre-Law, Secretarial, Teacher's Certificate.
grade school moved to the Jacinto campus in 1951 and returned
to the Matina campus in 1962. The high school moved to the Jacinto
campus in 1962 and returned to the Matina campus upon completion
of a two-wing, three-storey building in 1967. The high school
turned co-educational in 1977 with 28 girls accepted into the
freshman year. In 1977, the Ateneo de Davao gained University
status with Fr. Emeterio J. Barcelon, S.J. as its first University
President. In 1988, Mrs. Katie B. Delima became the first lay
Principal of the high school.
its ardent desire to ensure quality education, Ateneo de Davao
went through an accreditation process by the Philippine Accrediting
Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU). The
college was first accredited in 1969, the grade school in 1974
(the first PAASCU accredited elementary school in the Visayas
and Mindanao), and the high school in 1975. It attained reaccreditation
in 1978, 1984, 1990, 1997 and 2002.
increasing number of student population in both the grade school
and the high school prompted Central Administration to build a
five-story high school complex in what used to be the school's
backfield. The high school transferred to the new building in
June of 1996; its formal inauguration, however, was held the following
year on March 12, 1997. The Administration Wing houses the different
administrative offices, Instructional Media Center, St. John Berchmans'
Chapel, school clinic, and the Student Development Center. The
old high school building of 1967 was turned over to the grade
school year 1999 saw the creation of an integrated program of
basic education from preschool to high school. To this end, Fr.
Edmundo M. Martinez, S.J., University President, appointed Fr.
Oscar A. Millar, S.J., Vice President for Formation and Basic
Education, and Mrs. Suzette D. Ali?o, Director of Basic Education
and concurrent grade school Headmaster and Mrs. Gloria G. Dolar
high school Principal.
2001, Fr. E. Martinez, S.J., University President, initiated changes
in the administrative structure with the abolition of the office
of Assistant Principal for Academic Affairs to make sure that
the academic leadership becomes the prime responsibility of the
Unit Head. The Principal, then, had a direct hand in all matters
involving faculty and academics. To help the Unit Head in this
task, the positions of Executive Assistant to the Principal and
the Year Level Heads were created. In addition, the Committee
on Instruction was formed to assist the Principal in upgrading
the quality of classroom instruction through class observations/visitations.
The position of Assistant Principal for Formation was created
to help oversee the activities and processes aimed at the total
formation of students - their attitudes, values, behavior, and
character. The creation of the Formation Cluster (composed of
SDC, CMO, CLE, Sports and Student Activities) was designed to
continue and intensify the Jesuit ideals of formation and tradition
school years 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, the high school added more
computers for the I.T. program, upgraded the Mathematics curriculum
and a consultant assisted in the training of the teachers. It
was in 1999 that the high school served as the locus for the Regional
Science Training Center (RSTC), the Reorientation of Instruction
of Science Education (RISE), and the regional training for public
school teachers among others.
and academic reforms were made to respond to the different recommendations
raised by the PAASCU Re-accreditation in February of 2002. Dr.
Perla E. Funa, Dean of Arts and Sciences, became Vice President
for Basic Education and concurrently, the high school Principal.
Moreover, Sr. Guia Jambalos, RC was appointed as the Assistant
to the President for Formation.
the end of 2004, Fr. Antonio S. Samson, S.J., the second-time
President of the University ushered some changes in the curriculum
and in the organizational structure. The school made necessary
and relevant reforms in its curricular programs beginning with
Religious Education and Physical Education, Health and Music.
The change in the organizational structure included the revival
of the Subject Area Coordinators. In August of 2005, Fr. Irvin
B. Salanio, S.J. became the OIC Principal of the high school.
The duties and responsibilities of the Subject Area Coordinators
and the Year Level Heads were reviewed.
the appointment of Fr. Anthony C. Pabayo, S.J., as the Principal
effective April 2006, the school embraces the three C's, namely:
Character Formation, Community Building and the Challenge to be
a Better Ateneo. With these thrusts, several changes were implemented.
An Assistant Principal for Academic Affairs, the Sports Coordinator,
the Assistant Prefect of Student Affairs, and the ICT (Information
and Communication Technology) Coordinator were appointed. Technology
and Home Economics (T.H.E), Scouting and Citizenship Advancement
Training (CAT) were revived.
efforts are undertaken to make the members of the high school
community become more cognizant of their role in the formation
of the youth.
Following is the list of high school Principals since its foundation
Theodore E. Daigler, S.J.
John J. McKeaney, S.J.
Martin J. Casey, S.J.
J. Hudson Mitchell, S.J.
Thomas P. Murphy, S.J.
Francis L. Bowler, S.J.
Francis C. Dolan, S.J.
- 1969; 1971 - 1973
Juan E. Bonafe, S.J.
Ernesto A. Carretero, S.J.
Rodolfo A. Malasmas, S.J.
- 1982; 1985 - 1988
Enrique M. Lalana, S.J.
Katie B. Delima
Gloria G. Dolar
Perla E. Funa
Irvin B. Salanio, S.J.
Anthony C. Pabayo, S.J.
||2006 - 2011
Micheal I. Pineda, S.J.
||2011 - Present